In this episode of Hearsay, I’ll take a look at the international legal dispute that led to our Prime Minister being dubbed “Mr Trumble”. I’ll also talk about some of the other controversies surrounding Donald Trump’s fledgling presidency, and explain how they have parallels with issues in Australia’s legal system.
Summary Matters (00:42)
- AFR: Susan Kiefel sworn in as first woman Chief Justice of High Court
- Prof Ann Twomey, Start of the Susan Kiefel High Court
- Prof Andrew Lynch (UNSW), Susan Kiefel era signals continuity, not change
- AFR: High Court destiny writ large on Jamie Edelman
- High Court: Swearing-in videos (Kiefel CJ, Edelman J)
- Human Rights Law Centre: Explainer: Children should not be held in adult prisons
- The Age: ‘What was the alternative?’ Government defends sending kids to Barwon prison
- The Age: With Parkville ‘uninhabitable’, government confirms site for $288m juvenile jail
- The Age: Bitter $16m feud ends as lottery winner pays out disgruntled syndicate members
- Supreme Court: Supreme Court updates practice note system, and introduces new rules for technology in civil matters
- news.com.au: The White House can’t even get our Prime Minister’s name right
- The Guardian: Donald Trump’s ‘day of patriotic devotion’ has echoes of North Korea
- The Economist: Daily chart: America’s electoral college and the popular vote
- Inside Story: One vote, one value?
- Constitution Act 1934 (SA), s 83(1)
- The Guardian: Turnbull rejects New Zealand offer to take 150 refugees from detention
- The Guardian: Refugees held in Australian offshore detention to be resettled in US (Nov 2016)
- NPR: Trump’s Executive Order On Immigration, Annotated
- ABC: Donald Trump: The phone call that rocked the relationship between US and Australia
- The Age: Donald Trump says conversation with Malcolm Turnbull was ‘very civil’
- The Hill: Giuliani: Trump asked me how to do a Muslim ban ‘legally’
- The Independent: Donald Trump fires acting Attorney General for defying executive order banning refugees
- news.com.au: Corruption claims in Brandis-Gleeson feud
- ABC: Bell Group: High Court rules against WA Government as legal battle continues
- SMH: George Brandis misled Parliament over Justin Gleeson affair, Senate inquiry concludes
- SMH: Solicitor-General Justin Gleeson resigns over George Brandis dispute
- ABC: George Brandis to face new Senate inquiry about his role in Bell Group litigation
- Senate Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee: Inquiry into the nature and scope of any agreement reached by the Commonwealth and Western Australian governments in relation to the distribution of proceeds of the liquidation of, and litigation concerning, the Bell Group of companies (the proceeds)
- Washington Post: Former Norwegian prime minister detained at Dulles Airport for an hour. He visited Iran in 2014.
- The Guardian: Federal judge stays deportations under Trump Muslim country ban
- Washington Post: Federal judge orders U.S. to return Iranian who was deported under new order
- The Guardian: Border agents defy courts on Trump travel ban, congressmen and lawyers say
- The Age: Prisoners released on bail instead of remanded because of jail overcrowding
- Herald Sun: Victorian Government fined almost $500k for failing to deliver prisoners to court on time
Address in Reply (43:23)
- In future episodes, I’d like to include comments or questions from listeners — so please, get in touch!
Learned Friends (44:19)
- Spanish News Today: Thief sentenced to give the judge a haircut
If you have comments, questions, or suggestions for future topics, I’d love to hear from you. There are a few ways you can reach me:
- Leave a comment below.
- Send me an email at email@example.com.
- Say hi to @hearsaycast on Twitter.
- You can also leave a voice message that I might include in a future episode.
I hope to hear from you soon.